12.24.2007

On the Elevenfth Day of Christmas

... I am taking a moment from all of the last minute rush and chaos to focus on the true meaning of Christmas, which was first pronounced by the Angel: "Peace on Earth, good will to all." In the spirit of that first Christmas promise, I have shared this poem, first written during World War II, every year with my friends and family.



Kid Stuff


The wise guys
tell me
that Christmas
is Kid Stuff...
Maybe they've got
something there --


Two thousand years ago
three wise guys
chased a star
across a continent
to bring
frankincense and myrrh
to a Kid
born in a manger
with an idea in his head...


And as the bombs
crash
all over the world
today
the real wise guys
know
that we've all
got to go chasing stars
again
in the hope
that we can get back
some of that
Kid Stuff
born two thousand years ago --


Frank Horne
December, 1942




Most of us are just regular people, but each one of us can do something, however small, to spread the promise of peace on earth. We can do something kind for our loved ones when they are having a bad day. We can practice random acts of kindness to total strangers. We can pay it forward. We can volunteer. We can vote. We can pray.

Sometimes I know I have an opportunity to do something but a little voice inside tells me it's so small it won't make a difference so isn't worth the effort. I read somewhere that even though these acts seem minuscule in the grand scheme of things, they are like grains of sand. When enough grains of sand get together, massive beaches are formed.



I am so grateful to be part of the knitting community. So many, many wonderful individuals who find ways to be grains of sand on a regular basis. So many people reaching out to others, spreading peace and goodwill with 2 sticks and some yarn. I love you all!






No comments: