4.07.2007

Goodbye Griff and Why The Easter Bunny Wears A Fur Coat

The puppy playroom is being closed down. The last resident vacated the premises yesterday.


Yes, Griff has found a forever family! And just the kind of family I was praying for. He will live in a charming small town about 30 minutes from here. His new family are dog people. The sweet and beautiful 16-year old daughter, a member of the local 4H club, has been involved in obedience and agility and has been looking for a puppy to train. How perfect is that? I've said all along that I wished Griff would go to someone who would put his smarts to good use. They were quite impressed with his budding talents and training (yes, I will take credit for that, thank you. He responded much better to the behavior modification than many of the children I treat). He left here knowing how to sit on command, lay down, combat crawl, wave his paw, walk nicely on a leash, come when called, fetch, and "leave it". He is almost completely potty-trained - the accidents he was having were more due to human errors than his own.

We are missing him a lot, but happy to know he has a good home. And they want to stay in touch and have invited us to come visit - do you think tomorrow would be too soon?





Well, it does no good to sit around and mope. It is Easter, after all. A time of new beginnings, a day of hope. And usually a day that you can be outside, enjoying the spring breezes and flowers. BUT...this is Kansas - Land of Rollercoaster Weather and Nasty Tricks Played By Mother Nature. Five days ago, the temps were in the 80's. Yesterday and today, highs in the low 40's. lows in the teens, and wind chills below zero!!! So the daffodils and dogwood blossoms have been zapped and are now un-Easter-like colors of crispy browns and tans. All of the new leaves on the hydrangeas, perennials and summer-flowering shrubs are looking like lettuce that has lurked in the veggie drawer for way too long. But the sun is out, I have chocolate to eat and new green goodies to enjoy!

Natalie sent me all of these goodies for the March Color Swap! And just when I really needed a little pick-me-up!
She sent some soft and pretty light green alpaca blend Bernat Haven yarn that I can't stop squeezing (that will make a cozy baby hat for some lucky little newborn), a ball of a fun green and blue ribbon yarn, lots of really neat scrapbooking supplies, some Irish Cream coffee, chocolates (most of which have been eaten!), a cute tiny green basket, some gum....

...and a little flipflop keychain, mini photo album (perfect to keep puppy photos in), a knitting notebook (always nice to receive) and, my favorite, 3 hand-knitted little purses which will come in very handy for holding stitch markers and miscellaneous knitting accessories. I love to be the recipient of handmade gifts and really appreciate the time and effort Natalie spent making this for me! Thank you for a wonderful swap package, Natalie! I hope your March partner spoils you as good as you have spoiled me.


So now I am off to bundle up for church but I am not complaining. Why? you ask. Because I finally get to wear my turquoise alpaca scarf, that's why. Not only is it warm, but it brightens the dark winter clothes I am wearing today. The Easter Bunny is jealous.



Whatever your faith, I wish you a happy and joyous day celebrating the new life that is the promise of spring!

6 comments:

Sonya said...

I'm sad to see him go. In the back of my mind I just knew you were going to keep him.

Life's a Stitch said...

Happy Easter. That pup post brought happy tears to my eyes. Oh this menopause thing...
Li

BOSSY said...

Bossy is into the Forever Home concept - for all of us.

Unknown said...

I don't know how you do it...bless you and all those like you, I would really want to keep them all!

Lapdog Creations said...

Happy tears indeed! We are going to be going through the same thing tomorrow night... Dustee, our foster of 2 1/2 weeks, will be going to his forever home tomorrow night. I am both happy and saddened... this little guy touched our lives & hearts more than any before. They do say they will keep in touch so hopefully we'll get to see him (is Friday too soon??? ha ha!).

Dianne said...

It takes a loving, yet unselfish person to be able to foster, and you are that kind of person. I am so thankful to you and all of the foster moms & dads out there. I don't know how you do it. Little Griff and his brothers are lucky to have had you as a mom to give them such a good start in life.

P.S. Thanks for the tuna suggestion - Mellie ate about 1/3 of a can today!